Last Updated on February 5, 2022 by Rocklyn Clarke
Do you want to change the world or hear from people who do? Change the World Night is a safe environment where you can share your hopes, dreams, and current projects with others. We provide a chance to hear different perspectives on what needs to change and how to go about it.
Come and enjoy food and stimulating conversation, but no smoking, vaping, alcohol, or recreational drugs. Both churchgoers and non-churchgoers are welcome!
Our next Change The World Night has not yet been scheduled. Check back here for updates.
For the event location and other details, drop by our Sunday service or talk to one of our members.
Sponsored by Life Church. Both churchgoers and non-churchgoers are welcome!
Past Change The World Nights
- On Friday February 4, 2022 Stacey Borden presented her New Beginnings Reentry Services program and her Women’s Empowerment House. You can learn more about Stacey from this recent article:
A $750,000 Act of Kindness Helped a Woman Launch a Healing House for the Formerly Incarcerated – Times Of Entrepreneurship
- On Friday December 3, 2021 Change The World Night is cancelled because Life Church will be participating in a multi-congregation prayer meeting.
- On Friday October 1, 2021 Our originally scheduled Change The World Night was cancelled.
- On Friday July 2, 2021, Life Church conducted a panel on Real Estate Investments and Cryptocurrency as a means of building generational wealth.
- On Friday June 4, 2021, Life Church conducted the 2nd of a series of events centered on race and equity.
We debriefed our experiences with the activities from April 9, 2021.
- On Friday April 9, 2021, Life Church conducted the first of a series of events centered on race and equity.
We played Monopoly…with a twist. The version we played is called Intergroup Monopoly and was developed by Richard Harvey of Saint Louis University. After the game, we discussed what it felt like to play the game with different rules and how the experience relates to growing up and living in the United States today.
Note – this event was originally planned for the first Friday of the month (4/2/2021) but, because that was Good Friday, we moved it to 4/9/2021.
- On Friday February 5, 2021 we conducted an outreach planning meeting.
- On Friday December 4, 2020 we conducted an outreach planning meeting.
- On Friday October 2, 2020 We did not meet.
- On Friday August 7, 2020 We did not meet.
- On Friday June 5, 2020, Life Church welcomed several guests who will discussed various aspects of financial planning, career enhancement, and philanthropy. As you know, changing the world requires funding and we want to help you make the most of the funds you have.
Note – this topic was originally planned for our April event but was postponed to June due to the Massachusetts State of Emergency. Our presenters included:
- Cheryl Gelzer Alexis
Cheryl is the Director of Human Resources at the Harvard University Department of Athletics. She discussed career enhancement strategies.
- Donna Johns
Donna is a Financial Services Representative with the Barnum Financial Group. She discussed financial planning.
- Michealle Larkins
Michealle is a Vice President and Philanthropic Administrator with Bank of America. She discussed philanthropy.
- David Parker
David is and Advisor with Concord Wealth Management. David discussed financial planning.
- Shironda White
Shironda is the Founder of CauseEDU. She discussed financial planning for college.
- Cheryl Gelzer Alexis
In keeping with the then current recommendations of the Reopening Massachusetts Plan, we wanted to avoid gathering a large group of people in our limited physical space. For this reason we conducted this event online via Zoom
- On Friday April 3, 2020, Life Church was forced to cancel our April Change The World Night due to the Corona Virus State of Emergency.The Corona Virus crisis has forced numerous organizations, including churches, to cancel or postpone events. As you might imagine, we at Life Church are no exception. You can find more information about our response to the Corona Virus Pandemic on our Corona Virus Policy Page.
- On Friday February 7, 2020, Life Church welcomed Richard Frank, Marketing Director for Artists For Humanity (AFH) to Change the World Night. Artists for Humanity provides under-resourced teens the keys to self-sufficiency through paid employment in art and design. AFH is built on the philosophy that engagement in the creative process is a powerful force for social change, and that creative entrepreneurship is a productive and life-changing opportunity for young people. Bridging economic, racial, and social divisions, AFH enriches urban communities by introducing young people’s creativity to the business community. To date, AFH has employed over 5,000 young people and engaged an additional 12,000 youth in art and enterprise activities.
- On Friday December 6, 2019, Life church welcomed Vernon Walker from Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW).Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW) is a young grassroots organization that aims to build equitable, inclusive neighborhood climate resilience in New England through hands-on, education, service and planning. CREW is interested in building social networks in communities and connecting community members with each other to form a social network.
- On Friday October 4, 2019, Life Church welcomed Jason Outlaw – founder of Vitraux Medieval Stained Glass Art in Boston, Massachusetts
A little bit about Jason:
I am an artist with an intense interest in helping others achieve their dreams. I do this primarily through teaching stained glass classes to help people use their hands and explore their creative side, and through dentistry. I also achieve this through serving as an academic adviser at Harvard College. I combined my creative endeavors by designing and building Medieval Stained glass panels that feature Harvard University shields, as well as high concept stained glass panels that express words of positivity. I can customize a hand-made panel exclusively for you that will add elegance and flair to any room. For more details visit my website:
Vitraux Medieval Stained Glass
Creating Art. Creating Community.
- On Friday August 2, 2019, Life Church welcomed Leslie Moore of Traction House as the featured speaker at Change the World Night.Traction is a network of individuals of Christian faith offering men and women an experience in supportive and enriching environments where they are mentored and challenged to pursue individual and shared goals.
The Traction Story
- Traction started 9 years ago in Boston as Leslie Moore chose a particular way to live out the values of her church Cambridge Community Fellowship Church by sharing her multi-family home with a group of young women (aged 18-25) who she lived alongside and mentored.
- In the months and years to come, other Christians partnered with Leslie to mentor men and women, share life, & sometimes their homes
- Individuals who have been involved in the network are called “The Traction Family.” No matter the capacity to share resources with others, each person commits themselves to disciplines of work and learning meant to empower them to transition into healthy interdependent living situations.
- Today, the Traction network includes individuals in Boston, MA and Central Falls, RI who support the discipleship and self-actualization journeys of others who have become part of the Traction Family.
- On Friday June 7, 2019, Life Church welcomed Sheila Hubbard as the featured speaker at Change the World Night. Sheila Hubbard is a prior Commissioner for the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) in 2017. Prior to her work at MCAD, she served as Executive Director of the Volunteer Lawyers Project in Boston. She previously served as director of the Minority and Women Business Office under Boston Mayor Ray Flynn, deputy legal counsel with Governor Bill Weld’s administration, and is a prior Chair of the Massachusetts Parole Board.